Welcome to my Social Media Resume. I am an experienced communications professional, originally from Northern Virginia. For the past eight years, I have been actively involved in various organizations that have developed my skill sets and reinforced my desire to work in the communications field. I am a hard-working, detail-oriented and good-humored person who seeks every opportunity to further myself as an individual, a leader, a professional and as a member of my surrounding communities.
Being a social media native, I’ve attempted to sum myself up in the standard 140-character Twitter limit:
A #CommsPro with big dreams, an obsession for #NewMedia and human interaction, and a determination to go above and beyond #AboutMe [130/140]
Began at MERSCORP Holdings, Inc. as the Company’s first intern in June 2012 and accepted the full-time offer as the Specialist in June 2014. I am currently the webmaster for the Company’s public-facing and members-only websites, editor of the MERS® Tips & Hints and Team MERS® MINute newsletters, logistics and marketing coordinator for the Company’s conferences and regional workshops, graphic designer for internal and external collateral pieces, and am the go-to person in the company for communications-related questions and requests.
- Managed the redevelopment project of both the public-facing and members-only websites
- Vocalized the importance of social media, resulting in the implementation of Twitter as part of the media relations outreach and in discussion on how to utilize social media platforms to further corporate and department objectives
- Played a critical role in the development of web-based solutions (online membership application, interactive resources for Members)
- Designed and launched the monthly internal newsletter, Team MERS® MINute, and currently coordinate all aspects of its production/distribution
- Developed the Company’s conference app for the MERS® 2015 User Conference to increase attendee interaction
- While I was an intern, I took over the Communications Manager’s projects and provided invaluable support/training to the new Director of Communications
- Fifth Circuit Again Rules MERS is Beneficiary of Deed of Trust – May 2014
- Fifth Circuit Rules MERS’ Mortgage Assignment Valid – October 2013
- MERS Model Prevails Again in the Fifth Circuit – May 2013
- Washington Federal Court Ruling Favors MERS – May 2013
- New Hampshire Superior Court Rules in MERS’ Favor – May 2013
- Alabama Supreme Court Upholds Lower Court’s Recognition of MERS’ Authority to Assign Mortgages – May 2013
- Federal Judge Rejects Wrongful Foreclosure Complaint against MERS – July 2012
Office of Public Affairs, James Madison University
Public Affairs Assistant (August 2011-December 2013)
Started my internship with the University’s Public Affairs Office in August 2011 and was the youngest person to ever work in the Office. I was responsible for writing press releases, media advisories and feature stories, monitoring and updating the University’s social media platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr) and website, maintaining relationships with local and campus media, and providing support at special events (including President Alger’s inauguration, Orientation Week, Homecoming Week).
- Created the “Where in the World is your JACard?” Flickr page and assisted in its implementation on the University’s website
- Was published in the Madison Magazine and on the University website
- Served on various strategic communications teams for University-related projects and events focused on increasing student and community engagement
- Designated as the liaison between the student interns and Public Affairs staff
- International Seminar – November 2013
- Student-designed Testing System to Aid Hearing Research – April 2013
- Student Project Offers Guidance on Controversial Natural Gas Drilling – April 2013
- JMU Researchers Awarded $45,650 in 4-VA Grants – February 2013
- JMU Outreach Program Gives High School Students Taste of College Work – December 2012
- Teaching Abroad Leads to New Perspectives for Faculty, Students – September 2012
- Bioscience Mural Showcases Alumna’s Passion for Art, Science – September 2012
- Chemistry Majors Recognized for Excellence by Goldwater Foundation – April 2012
- Engineering Project Adds Important Piece to Learning Center – February 2012
- Student-Designed Heating System Tested at Rockingham Farm – December 2011
- Moon Sighting Launched Planetarium Director’s Interest in Astronomy – November 2011
- Group Sees Shenandoah Valley As Renewable Energy Model – October 2011
- Where in the World is Your JAC? – photo gallery
- Geology Students See Unique Minerals – November 2012
- 2011-12 New Faculty – August 2011
Alpha Kappa Psi – Nu Psi chapter, Professional Business Fraternity
Director, Public Relations (September 2012-December 2013)
- Developed, implemented and coordinated effective internal and external communication for the chapter
- Responsible for monitoring all content posted by the brotherhood and Network Administrator on social media platforms to ensure positive brand marketing
- Created and maintained the New Media and Marketing policies
- Published a bi-weekly newsletter for all members
- Served as the main point of contact for those seeking information about the chapter
Network Administrator (December 2011-December 2012)
- Re-designed the chapter’s website
- Enabled effective communication among chapter committees through the university provided intranet, Blackboard
- Created the chapter’s social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Published content on the chapter website and social media accounts promoting chapter activities
Chapter Historian (December 2011-December 2012; December 2013-May 2014)
- Documented all fraternal activities through photos and a written semester summary
- Prepared video and PowerPoint presentations highlighting major chapter events
- Organized the creation and distribution of the chapter’s composite
- Unity Value Award (spring 2011, spring 2012)
This award is given to a brother for fostering cooperation among brothers, advancing inter-committee communication efforts, and promoting a vision that transcends the chapter. I was recognized with the Unity Value Award by my brothers for many factors. My diligence as chapter Historian by attending all fraternity events and photographing them for our chapter history was known by all the brothers, including our chapter and faculty advisers, as well as our alumni. My involvement with the Alpha Tau (fall 2011) and the Alpha Upsilon (spring 2012) pledge classes was appreciated by the pledges, the Vice President of Membership and the brotherhood.
- Brotherhood Value Award (fall 2012)
This award is given to a brother for consistently showing strong trust, respect, cooperation, companionship and aid to brother members of Alpha Kappa Psi. I was awarded the Brotherhood Value Award my first semester as a brother. Although I was new to the brotherhood, my love for human interaction and communicating with others allowed for me to get along with all the brothers in the fraternity. I was always willing to spend time with my brothers and was able to lend a listening ear to everyone. I participated in, and was enthusiastic for, all activities sponsored by the brotherhood.
Fortifier Events, Penn Laird, VA
- Designed graphics, Prezis and other content to promote Fortifier Events’ Mud Runs across various social media platforms
- Drafted and distributed press releases advertising upcoming events
- Recruited student organizations to participate and sponsor Mud Runs
- Photographed participants of events for future promotional use
Click here to see my recent Fortifier Mud Run gallery
The Breeze, James Madison University – Student Newspaper
Copy Desk Intern (January 2011-March 2011)
- Edited stories and pages to ensure they conformed to the AP Style
- Communicated between the copy desk and section editors
- Fundamental Skills in Media Arts & Design I (SMAD201)
This project-oriented course developed my technical skills in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. Projects ranged from photo manipulation to the creation of instructional guides, as well as developing ad design layouts. Below are JPEG versions of the projects created with Adobe Photoshop. Click here to view the instructional guide created with Adobe InDesign.
- Fundamental Skills in Media Arts & Design II (SMAD202)
A very hands-on course that furthered my familiarity with iMovie, Adobe DreamWeaver, and HTML and CSS coding. Projects included creating a mock-up campaign site using a combination of web design tactics; filming/editing footage to create an original minute-length film; and manipulating content for project purposes.
- Introduction to Corporate Communication (SMAD241)
An introduction course to the field of corporate communications. Learned to create strategic plans, write communication brief, and studied corporate communication case studies.
- Interactive Design for the Web (SMAD 307)
An in-depth course to the structuring and framework of a website, using a mix of HTML/CSS coding and Adobe Dreamweaver.
- Information Communication and Technologies (SMAD341)
A very detailed course focusing on various forms of social media and effectively using social media to contribute to a company/organization and its growth. This social media résumé is one of the projects assigned in this course to learn familiarity with content management systems.
- Print Communication and Design (SMAD 332)
A project-based course structured to refine the skills needed to assemble a well-organized infographic, magazine cover/layout, logo and newsletter. My logo designs (below) for this class were chosen as one of the logos for the campus festival, Madipalooza.
- Corporate Communications Management (SMAD 441)
A high-level course in the study of effective and strategic corporate communications management. Studied case studies from various disciplines of corporate communications and developed a corporate social responsibility campaign for Lilly Pulitzer as part of the senior capstone project. For this campaign, I served as the project leader and was responsible for the budget, media strategy, creative works and the Prezi presentation sections of the campaign, as well as editing and assembling all final campaign materials for presentation
Thank you for taking the time to review my social media résumé. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.